Friday, August 08, 2008

day of the surgery...

Yesterday was the day!

As we were about to leave the apartment, I suddenly felt the need to do #2. I wasn’t sure if it’s because I was nervous or I really had to. Anyway, we were supposed to be at the Ambulatory no later than 830 AM. We arrived there at exactly 824 AM.

The paperwork at the Admitting was taking long. My doctor went out to the lobby and spoke to me… I introduced IFC as well. The nurse called me soon after. IFC and I went to the dressing room then proceeded to Exam Room 4 for preliminary testing… BP was taken, medical history was reviewed, allergies to drugs and latex, etc. etc. The anaesthesiologist came after, discussed how the surgery will go… I’ll be put to sleep (with a general anaesthesia), will breath in an oxygen tube, will have to have an endoscopy, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, tubal lavage and some other procedures that I can’t remember the names.

Then, we walked towards the operating room (OR). I was really nervous that time. All the more I got scared when I saw about 7 people (maybe more) inside the OR not to mention all those apparatus including the lights on the ceiling that I just saw on TV before. I laid down the table. A nurse started putting patches on my chest… I guess to monitor my vitals. The anaesthesiologist on my left started putting the IV. She said I’ll feel something like a bee sting and some kind of burning on my hand. While she was doing that, she asked me what my favorite form of relaxation was. I said “beach”. She asked “where?” I said “nothing specific as long as there’s water”. She insisted so I said “let’s say the Philippines where I’m from”. She said “I’m not taking you there… you can’t relax in a place where your family is”. How about I take you to Maldives?” The nurse on my right put the oxygen mask and said “breathe normally”. Then, I looked at the ceiling, it got blurry, and the next time I know I was in the recovery room.

My doctor approached me and said that everything is normal. The left fallopian tube turned out to be open… which is in contradiction to what my doctor thought with the result of the hysterogram. He said he’ll see me in a month and probably start giving me the “injectables” as supposed to clomid. I then assumed that he just did the laparoscopy and endoscopy. He didn’t have to do the rest. I mean I don’t see the need to be dilating a tube that is open in the 1st place.

Soon, IFC was there beside me.

A nurse said I can’t be discharged unless I pee at least a 100 cc. So beside the dextrose I have, I tried drinking as much fluids as I can just so I can pee and eventually go home. The 1st try, the nurse opened the faucet (which I think has a psychological effect to help) and left me in the bathroom. I couldn’t. I mean I felt my bladder was heavy but it just wasn’t coming out. I went back inside. And while the nurse was taking off the IV, I felt I needed to go. And so I did but the container showed it was a little less than 100 cc. But thank goodness the nurse said I passed.

IFC helped me dressed up. He got the car and a nurse walked me to it.

We were still in the highway when I felt again the need to pee. We didn’t know what to do. I put my jeans under my legs in case I can’t hold it any longer. IFC said “can you still manage it till we reach Kohls? “ I said I’ll try. But I can’t anymore so he stopped by Applebee’s and I told the lady (while showing my wrist tag) that I just came out of the hospital and I really need to use the bathroom. She was nice enough to let me go.

Then, I was home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're okay now Faye!

Faye said...

i am litzie! thanks!