Monday, May 23, 2005

the house where i grew up...

mood:

I was on the phone last night talking to my grandmother. I really feel bad for her. She’s currently living with my father’s youngest brother, his wife and kids. My uncle’s family made a big decision however to move out of town which is 3-4 hours away from where they’re at right now. I haven’t actually talked to my uncle but whatever reasons they have, let’s just leave it as it’s what they think is best for the family. They will now leave the rented apartment for good. With this, my grandma has no choice but to move to Manila. She can’t definitely stay alone in our house in another town 45 minutes away from the apartment. They have lived in that apartment for a very long time now. They’ve been there even before I was born. My grandma was expressing her sadness to leave that house full of memories especially that of my grandpa who passed away in 1997. I can feel her pain. And like her, I was also saddened with the news. I was really surprised. I’m just worried that she’ll be stuck at home in Manila since she’s not familiar with the place. She couldn’t go anywhere else. In the province, she goes to the cemetery to visit my grandpa at least every week. She can go to the church alone. She can do grocery shopping alone too. More importantly, she knows the people around her…the neighbors. Now none of these will be possible for her anymore. Our province is 3-4 hours away from Manila. She could only get there if someone will actually take her. I just told her to try to keep herself busy. Do some chores if she can so she won’t get bored. Maybe go out at times and walk around the block. I made a promise that I’ll just call her often. If I’m only staying there right now, I’ll definitely ask her to live with me. It’ll be my pleasure to take care of her just like how she took care of me when I was little.

Also, I mentioned this to my childhood friend Aileen and she herself was surprised. She even asked if we had considered getting someone who can accompany my grandma in the apartment. That’s possible but I don’t think they will even entertain that idea. I was in that house from four months old till the age of 12. And even I moved to Manila after graduating elementary, I still go there for a visit at least twice a year until I left for the States.

Again, this is one change in our lives that we have to accept.

No comments: