Friday, July 25, 2008

"Pepe"

Pepe (Grandpa in French), as we used to call him, was Tita Laling’s father-in-law… a very warm-hearted and hard-working person. He was always in his “cardigan”, dressed neatly as if he had some place to go to. I can also remember how he was at the dining table… didn’t want any mess, always tidying up while eating. I guess it’s the “military background” that he had. He always talked in a gentle manner. And most importantly, he was a family man and a devout Christian.

Tita Gie has been inviting us to go to Tita Laling for the 4th of July weekend. I said no at 1st having been there just last May. Then, Tita Laling said that Tito Ken had to request an IV for Pepe as he wasn’t eating anymore and that the doctor “sort of” gave him just 2 more days to live. IFC suggested that we go as we can’t make it during the week if something happens to Pepe. And so we did. I felt so bad upon seeing his condition. He lost so much weight… imagine an 87 year old weighing only 60lbs. But he looked peaceful though. I really thought he was ready to leave… too tired and just wanted to rest.

Anyway, we had a little celebration for my birthday on July 5th. Tita Gie made some bbq, cooked pansit sotanghon and adobong kangkong. Tita Laling bought me a cake too. Weng was there with Billy so we had some fun time.

But the next morning, Pepe died. And in as much as we want to stay for the funeral, we just can’t.

To Pepe: Wherever you are, I know you’re happy and at peace. We will always include you in our prayers. You will be missed…

No comments: