Tuesday, March 11, 2008

crazy thought!

I phoned Nanay (my grandma) last night and as usual she was crying. She was saying she’s getting older and weaker as days pass by. She said she was scolded by Tita Aba that she only said… “That’s how it is!” when I asked her why. We went on with our conversation and she mentioned that 2 of her cousins died just recently and that they (including her), are going “there” one by one. Then I said… “That’s why you were scolded!” She even told me she had the clothes I bought her washed and ironed and that don’t even bother to buy her anything else… that will already do for her. We went on and on and on till we said our goodbyes.

Then, I decided to call Tita Aba and during the course of our conversation, she also mentioned about the “clothes” that Nanay was talking about. I misunderstood it! Nanay was referring to the dress that I bought her for our wedding. And apparently, that has a connection to her cousins’ passing.

It was a long night for me yesterday. I wasn’t able to sleep right away. I know she is ok and in good health. I know being emotional is just part of getting old. I know I could still be with her the next time I go home. Meantime, I will just call her more often so she won’t feel sad…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel for you about your nanay. my mom is somewhat the same. everytime i call, she's either crying or problematic. but unlike you, negative ang reaction ko. i feel guilty tuloy!

ofcourse, i wish both our nanays and all our loved ones good health and safety para nanjan sila parati :)

flowerdrumsong said...

hey faye, i agree with you. i think our grandparents are 'getting there' and i'm sure it bothers them... i'm sure your phone call will make them feel less worried as your "nanay" will be happier to hear from you as well! :)

Faye said...

gracita - my lola is already 77 years old and i know at that age talagang senti na sila. para nga ako sumisigaw pag kausap ko dahil mahina na rin pandinig.

weng - hi! how have you been? i may not leave comments on your blog but i definitely visit often.