Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Sink Lady!



Tita Laling is Mama’s 1st cousin who used to live in my parents’ house a long time ago. She is my Aunt whom we call ‘sink lady’ being so crazy on how she keeps the sink clean...always! I remember how it was before. We would always see to it that we chat and have a little snack every night before going to bed. She along with my other Aunts chipped in to buy some snack for us. I can’t also forget that time when her sister Tita Beth was arguing with a neighbor. She almost jumped over the terrace defending her sister. She wore shorts under her skirt and immediately went down the stairs and you just guess what happened next!

It was in 1988 when Tita Laling got married to Uncle Ken (who calls me ‘flip flop’ since I used to open the gate for him all the time when he was visiting her) in the Philippines. I was just 14 years of age then and one of her secondary sponsors. She went to the US immediately after the wedding. And though she was visiting the Philippines from time to time, we never got the chance to really get together. In fact, we lost contact for so many years until I decided to also go to America to pursue my dream. While I can already consider myself stable (well in a way), I still thought that I would need her help since it’s my 1st time to apply for a US visa. I contacted her and she was so giddy the very moment she heard my voice. She agreed to provide me an affidavit of support right away without any second thoughts.

I was lucky to get approved even if I wasn’t able to use that document she sent me. I went straight to Massachusetts (MA) when I 1st came here. I stayed at her place for 2 ½ months before moving to New York (NY). Being jobless at that time, she provided me with everything that I needed. She bought me clothes and shoes. She even gave me money just so I could buy phone cards to call the Philippines. She would even let me call my family direct. There are so many things that she did for me. She threw a party and invited her friends over during my 1st birthday here. She would even take me to this wines and liquor store to return the bottles and cans with deposit at times just so I could have extra money. And she also bought me some office clothes when I finally got a job.

She never failed to support me in any way up to now. I could cry my heart out to her. She is always there to give a listening ear to whatever I want to share. I found an instant best friend being the only closest relative I have here. I never felt any homesickness when I am with her. I am so at home and very much at ease. It is in MA…a very cozy and serene place… that I always go to whenever I feel like I need to escape from a complicated world. I also appreciate it when she confides to me. She trusts me and treats me like a matured woman that she even asks for advices. And I’m so flattered with that…

To my dearest Tita Laling, thank you so much for everything! I know these two words are not enough but I want you to know that I very much appreciate the things you did and still do for me.

No comments: